Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Very Cool, Very Custom, Very Special 1983 Volvo 245 Turbo Wagon

I'm not crazy about the exterior of this car, but, boy, do I love what's inside.

This car was the 5th Volvo project car for the Volvo aftermarket parts company IPD. IPD has been around since 1963 and are the premier Volvo performance parts dealer. (Find their website here.) It was built to showcase the performance items and accessories they offered in 1983. According to the seller, this car has been featured in Car & Driver and Road and Track magazines.

The list of what's in this car and what's has been done to this car is long and amazing.

The suspension has been modified with IPD 25mm front and rear sway bars, IPD factory style Upper strut chassis braces, IPD front and rear "Street Coils" springs (the car is lower than stock by around 2½") and Bilstein heavy duty shocks.

The engine has an Omni intercooler kit, IPD water injection, a Flex-A-Lite heavy duty fan and an Arkay enrichening device. Inside the car is an IPD driver adjustable boost regulator that allows you to adjust the boost up to 15 lbs.

The interior is done up with some very cool items, including an Italvolanti 4 spoke wheel and a very neat looking Volvo gauge bezel.

There are many, many other cool custom parts in this car and the seller leaves a comprehensive list of them in his eBay ad.

The only thing I don't like about this car is the exterior. The white over blue color combination does nothing for me. The body colored bumpers and smoked glass make it look boy-racerish. It would be so cool if, except for the wheels and ride height, this looked like a stock Volvo wagon.

If I had a lot of spare cash - I guarantee this car isn't going to go cheap - I'd buy this car in a heartbeat. Go ahead and flame me for saying this - I know this car is a piece of Volvo / IPD history that shouldn't be messed with - but I'd paint it Volvo silver, put on some stock bumpers and an "I (heart) my Labrador Retriever" sticker on the tailgate. (Even though I don't own a Labrador Retriever.) It would be the coolest sleeper on the planet.

Located in West Jordan, UT, click here to see the eBay listing.

A big thanks to John for sending me the link to this car!

No comments:

Post a Comment